Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Charles Houston - he was one of the grassroots fathers of the civil rights movements of the 50s and 60s. We were asked to write a book report on the book "eyes on the prize" and hand it in today. The first chapter of the book is almost solely about him and what he did for the movement.  when i came into class his name was written on the board. Our teacher asked to write what we knew about him in about 5 minutes time. I sat all around a group of black people. When he asked us to finish, they all began to talk and I heard them asking, "who was Charles Houston?" "What did you write?"... are you kidding me? You are a black American and you didn't even read the book? I can't believe any proud black american wwould take no effort or care in learning there heritage. That's just insane to me. I suppose maybe they have just moved on.


No comments: