Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Synthetic vs Organic

The concept came to me while reading a book in Barnes and Noble today. It's kinda my new thing. Whenever I have a break, I find a book store, and I read a book, till I have to go to my next job. Books are my friends here.

I digress, so as I was reading, I was relating to the character of the story, and was noticing how my experiences matched his, or how they matched my friends, and then I also noticed how, he learned from others experience, and I thought about how I learn from other peoples experiences.

I've come to realize that there are two different variations of experience. They are, (of course) 1st hand experience and 2nd hand experience. I find these two terms to be very limiting, and very non-descriptive. I would prefer to use the terms, Organic (1st hand) and Synthetic (2nd hand) experience in life.

I suppose we need to understand the different concepts of what Organic and synthetic is. If you were took look up the terms for Organic and Synthetic, you may find a definition similar to these:
Organic - noting or pertaining to a class of chemical compounds that formerly comprised only those existing in or derived from plants or animals, but that now includes all other compounds of carbon.
Synthetic - noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin

We can see by there very definitions, the hints of how this may compare to human experience.

Organic experiences in our life, are experiences that we create for ourselves. A good example of this, is the concept of fire that every child must find when he is young. When a child grows, he is told by his guardians, "Do not touch the fire it's hot." The child must learn from personal(organic) experience that the fire is in fact hot, and hot enough that it will cause him pain. These Organic experience are felt all throughout life.

There are also Synthetic experiences we learn in life, that are very important. Synthetic experience are experiences we learn through the experience of others. For example, a human may avoid, substance abuse, because their friend or family member may have been addicted to a substance. They learn without ever experiencing personally the affects of this substance abuse, because they see what it has done to a loved one. They have learned to avoid the situation.

Organic and Synthetic products have become very important in our lives as we know it. They are in the clothes we wear, the food we eat, and in the drugs we take. Though potentially debatable, both synthetic and organic products are important in life. Synthetic is of course much more easily produced, and there is a lot more opportunity for synthetic products. But we find more often than not, that organic products are of a higher value. I would hope to relate this as well to the experiences of human life.

Although synthetic experiences are important, and save us the hassle of learning "the hard way", organic experiences in life, sometimes must be achieved. The concept of love and friendship and faith, are a few examples of experience, that can only be stood fully, in an organic atmosphere. It is true, that a person can learn love synthetically (or 2nd hand). But the experience is never truly like the real thing.

At the same time, synthetic experiences being what they are, are felt, seen, heard very often and can easily substitute for the 'real thing.' It takes less time, all too often, it takes less heartache, pain (be it physical or mental). We learn to extract through another's organic experience, the synthetic properties that will aid us in keeping ourselves warm, clean, and healthy.

I probably should take some time, and really write this into a stronger essay, with more scientific reasoning, but I'm mostly writing this on the fly, with the thoughts that are already on my head. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Kellie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kellie said...

my thought is that I wish I read as much as you say you read there.